[Bf-committers] a FreeBSD bootstrap run

Frederick Lee bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:40:46 -0800

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 11:15:21AM -0800, Frederick Lee wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 10:28:43AM -0600, Kent Mein wrote:
[snip]
> > > I see bootstrap generates the Makefiles in the source dirs, this breaks
> > > multi-OS NFS builds. Is that what we want ?
> > >

> > the makefiles do not get touched(at least on the systems I've used)
> > the Makefile.in's are platform independant bootstrap should not affect
> > platform dependancy at all.  (The one thing that still needs to be done
> > for this is fixup the freeze stuff so that it does not build stuff
> > in the source dir.
>
> Makefile.am --(automake)--> Makefile.in --(configure)--> Makefile
>
> I fail to see how the makefiles don't get touched.

(kinda silly replying to myself, but still...)

OK.  Apparently I misunderstood something, and this got cleared up on
IRC.  I was on the assumption that the entire build process was being
done in the source tree (like I normally do *cough*), in which case, the
Makefiles do get modified.  Now I realize Kent meant, with the different
build tree thing, that running bootstrap creates the Makefile.in in the
source tree, and then running ../blender/configure creates the Makefiles
in the build tree, leaving the original NaN makefiles unmolested.