[Bf-committers] a FreeBSD bootstrap run

Kent Mein bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:32:18 -0600

Lots of miss understandings here :)

Hopefully this email will clear everything up.

There are two steps here when trying to get things to build.
bootstrapping and end user compiling.

bootstrapping is done by running ./bootstrap
what this does is flushes out the source code from the cvs tree
basically creating a "release" of the source that an end user can
use to compile the code,
Or in other terms it creates a bunch of platform independant files
(or at least they should be if they are not and we need to fix them)
which are auto generated (and are not included in cvs because it would clutter
up cvs changes and make it hard to see whats really getting changed).
(This should all take place in the source tree its filling in the holes
in the source so you have a system you can use)

The next stage is where you do your platform stuff and it should be mostly
platform independant.  (Right now a couple of the python files get created
in the source tree this just needs to be cleaned up, also the endian issue
needs to be dealt with but is also doable)

So lets say I wanted to compile this on a Sun and an sgi I would do the following from the blender dir.

On my sgi:
mkdir ../blender_build_irix
cd ../blender_build_irix
../blender/configure (my irix options)