[Bf-committers] a FreeBSD bootstrap run

Kent Mein bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:28:43 -0600

> Hi list,
>
> cvs01 sources as of 15:59:44 06-Dec-2002 on FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE
>
> aclocal (GNU automake) 1.5
> automake (GNU automake) 1.5
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.53
> BSD PD m4, conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'').
>
> ./bootstrap
>     Running aclocal ...
>     Running automake --gnu --add-missing...
>     automake: configure.ac: installing `./py-compile'
>     libtoolize: `configure.in' does not exist
>
> Sounds serious :-( Shouldn't configure.in be generated from configure.ac ?

If I had to guess version of libtool doesn't know about the newer name
configure.ac  (If someone wants to take a crack an making a configure.in to
go with things go for it, a good place to start would be just
cp configure.ac configure.in then start working on the problems you get) :)
All my systems have the later versions of things I would have to go through
alot of effort to downgrade them and since there is pleanty of other stuff
to do its on the back burner for me ;)

>     Running autoconf ...
>     configure.ac:174: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or m4_bpatsubst
>     configure.ac:362: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or m4_bregexp
>
> Are these m4 complaints valid, or is my m4 not GNUish enough ?
>
> bootstrap generates the Makefile.in's and heavily modifies aclocal.m4
> (another cvs delete candidate ?)

the aclocal.m4 I believe it rebuilds it using itself as input, (I could
be wrong here, but I think removing it would give us problems)

> I see bootstrap generates the Makefiles in the source dirs, this breaks
> multi-OS NFS builds. Is that what we want ?

the makefiles do not get touched(at least on the systems I've used)
the Makefile.in's are platform independant bootstrap should not affect
platform dependancy at all.  (The one thing that still needs to be done
for this is fixup the freeze stuff so that it does not build stuff
in the source dir.

Kent
--
mein@cs.umn.edu