[Bf-committers] RE: configure.ac autoscan OS X

James Turner bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:24:43 +0000

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 09:12  pm, Maarten Gribnau wrote:
>> lender.app
>>
>> Do we have a MacOSX expert yet?
> I am not a real expert but doing my best on an OSX box. I did not try
> the new autoconf stuff and am still working with the old Makefiles.
> I know what the source/darwin stuff is for because I was one of the
> developers working on OSX at NaN. The .app folders there are just
> skeletons for the Mac applications. A Mac applications is a bundle
> containing the binary and some XML files at least. Without the bundle
> structure, the application does not interface well with the finder
> (does not get focus, and therefore no keyboard and mouse events).
> In the Makefiles, the bundle skeletons in source/darwin are copied to
> the obj tree and the linked binaries are copied to the correct
> location inside the skeletons et voila, a working Mac application.

I have been trying to do autoconf builds on OSX ... I have reasonable
success doing this for other projects (Worldforge, etc), to the point
where I feel I understand autoconf/make pretty well ... but I still
can't get configure to run right. (Running autoXXX all work fine) ...
basically config.guess is being created empty. I *think* my Fink
install may be screwed up (0.4.0 migrated to CVS for Jaguar support) so
once Fink 0.5 is out I'll rm -rf /sw and try again :-)

In that vein, there is a common configure.ac structure we should be
taking advantage of that would simplify the platform aspects of the
script significantly, and also move many of the platform specific
header / lib checks out of the general path. it looks like this:

AC_CANONICAL_HOST
case $host in
*-apple-darwin*)
	AC_CHECK_HEADER(/System/Library/OpenGL/iinclude/gl.h)
	;;

*-*-cygwin-* | *-*-mingw32*)
	.... win32 specific stuff
	;;

*-*-irix-*)
	.. irix specific stuff
	;;
esac

Obviously some things are better handled with specific tests but this
does nicely isolate lots of platform specific checks / code.  I was
going to have a go at adding such a thing to configure.ac, but wanted
to wait until I'd built successfully with an un-modified version before
going further.

H&H
James

--