[Bf-committers] keeping it cross platform

Sun, 01 Dec 2002 15:43:33 +0100

Hi all,

Although I know engineers just *love* to get the latest technology, and
keep their systems upgraded for the best performance, this habit doesn't
realy help in developing cross platform.
In this maillist we've already discussed the correct version of gcc to
use. Now there seems to be an autoconf release problem.

The minimum target for Blender still is getting the platforms working
we've released the 2.2x series at. This implies keeping a very cautious
and conservative attitude towards upgrading OS releases, compilers,
libraries and tools. In the NaN past we've always fought with this
issue. Accepting any 'improvement' - by choosing for an upgrade of
OpenGL for example - certain plaforms cannot be supportd anymore.

It would be very wise, accompanying the 'autoconf' release, to publish a
spreadsheet outlining all MINIMUM revisions (versions) of OS's,
compilers, external libraries and tools for each Blender version. That
then could serve as a reference for developers, and provide relevant
information for developers who like to support a different OS as well.

Anyone here interested in gathering & compiling this information?
Thanks,

-Ton-
Ton Roosendaal | ton@blender.org | Blender Foundation
Amsterdam | The Netherlands |  http://www.blender.org