[Bf-committers] comments

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 09:06:48 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Frederick Lee wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 05:48:22AM -0500, Peter Amstutz wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > $ make
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tetron/hack/blender'
> > cd . && /bin/sh /home/tetron/hack/blender/missing --run autoheader
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tetron/hack/blender'
> > cd . \
> >   && CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=[config.h] \
> >      /bin/sh ./config.status config.status: creating [config.h]
> > config.status: creating [config.h]
> > config.status: error: cannot find input file: [config.h].in
> > make: *** [stamp-h1] Error 1
>
> Upgrade autoconf.  And probably automake as well.  The minimum version
> for autoconf is 2.54 (or stick in changequotes([,]) at the beginning of
> configure.ac).  I don't know what the minimum for automake is, but I
> use 1.6.3 on my dev box (Debian unstable).

making 'minimum revision' decisions at time time is going to be a problem.
at irix the minimum revision of autoconf is only 2.53. also, the revision
of some tools are being hardcoded in statements like the following:

AUTOMAKE = ${SHELL}
/usr/local/apps/openblender/blender-2.25-bf/blender/missing --run
automake-1.7

which is also a problem with irix which is only at version 1.6.2.
these versions are the latest precompiled sgi distributions. I'll
try to get most recent versions of these tools compiled, but spending
time on compilation infrastructure takes away from the real work.

if we know you _have_ to have a  minimum revision we need to document
it. if someone has a simple way around it, i would love to know. I'm
not experienced in gnu tools, i'm just trying to make keep irix
version in motion.

thanks
john