[Bf-codereview] Derivative filtering for multires baker (issue 13778045)

brechtvanlommel at gmail.com brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 22:40:44 CEST 2013

https://codereview.appspot.com/13778045/diff/1/release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py

https://codereview.appspot.com/13778045/diff/1/release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py#newcode551
> > release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py:551: if
rd.bake_type ==
> > 'DISPLACEMENT':
> > Shouldn't this be its own bake type? Not sure why it would be under
> > displacement.

> Well, historical question. Internally derivatives are being calculated
from
> displacement map. We could do the following: add "Derivative Map"
baker type,
> which will internally use displacement baker + derivative filtering
and deliver
> derivative map to the user.

> Does it sound like a good plan?

Yes.

https://codereview.appspot.com/13778045/diff/1/release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py#newcode556
> > release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py:556: col.prop(rd,
> > "use_bake_user_scale")
> > This could be on the same row as the bake user scale, just a
checkbox without
> > text.

> Yep, thought this as well. Not big fan of un-labeled checkboxes, but
if you
> think it'll be more clear this way ot so much fussed to change.

I think it's clear enough to just have the checkbox, if the label in the
textbox says User Scale.

> Also, do you think properties descriptions are clear enough?

Thinking about this further, I don't even understand what this user
scale is supposed to do. "Multiplier adapts the signed derivatives to
the height map"?

When is the user supposed to use this, which problem does it solve? When
would you set this lower, higher?

https://codereview.appspot.com/13778045/