[Bf-codereview] Derivative filtering for multires baker (issue 13778045)

sergey.vfx at gmail.com sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 11:29:26 CEST 2013

https://codereview.appspot.com/13778045/diff/1/release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py

https://codereview.appspot.com/13778045/diff/1/release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py#newcode551
> > > release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py:551: if
rd.bake_type ==
> > > 'DISPLACEMENT':
> > > Shouldn't this be its own bake type? Not sure why it would be
under
> > > displacement.
> >
> > Well, historical question. Internally derivatives are being
calculated from
> > displacement map. We could do the following: add "Derivative Map"
baker type,
> > which will internally use displacement baker + derivative filtering
and
> deliver
> > derivative map to the user.
> >
> > Does it sound like a good plan?

> Yes.

Made it dedicated baker type now.

https://codereview.appspot.com/13778045/diff/1/release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py#newcode556
> > > release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_render.py:556:
col.prop(rd,
> > > "use_bake_user_scale")
> > > This could be on the same row as the bake user scale, just a
checkbox
> without
> > > text.
> >
> > Yep, thought this as well. Not big fan of un-labeled checkboxes, but
if you
> > think it'll be more clear this way ot so much fussed to change.

> I think it's clear enough to just have the checkbox, if the label in
the textbox
> says User Scale.

> > Also, do you think properties descriptions are clear enough?

> Thinking about this further, I don't even understand what this user
scale is
> supposed to do. "Multiplier adapts the signed derivatives to the
height map"?

> When is the user supposed to use this, which problem does it solve?
When would
> you set this lower, higher?

This is like a normalization. If you don't use user scale, baked
derivative map would be normalized by it's range. If user scale is
enabled, normalization is not used but derivative map is scaled in a
way, so when you apply it on the object you need to use the same scale
as you used during baking.

https://codereview.appspot.com/13778045/