[Bf-codereview] Bullet Integration (issue 7092051)

ideasman42 at gmail.com ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:16:03 CET 2013

On 2013/01/15 20:05:02, sergof wrote:
> Thanks for the review, a few quick comments:

> > - Mesh conversion could be sped up by not adding triangles one at a
time with
> > double-vertex checks, but this can be done after merge.

> Right, I haven't touched that actually. Ideally we could avoid
allocating the
> extra mesh by using blender's mesh data directly in bullet, would need
to test
> if that could cause problems in cases where the mesh changes while the
> simulation is running.

> > - I noticed scale is always removed from objects involved with
physics, IIRC
> the
> > game engine manages to have scaled meshes with physics so it could
be
> supported.

> Scaling is supported, we create unscaled collision shapes because we
scale them
> afterwards. This also allows for dynamic scaling while the simulation
is
> running.
> >
> > - Id like to allow building with WITH_BULLET disabled, any hints as
to which
> > branch I should look to getting the this change?

> Sure, I'd do it myself but if you want, you can look here:
> https://gitorious.org/%7Esergof/blenderprojects/sergofs-blender

> > - The way groups is used I find a bit strange, instead it could flag
objects
> and
> > store in an array? - it works as is and may be annoying to change
right now
> but
> > noting here.
> > Maybe other devs can explain why doing it this way is good.

> Personally I'd prefer to get rid of the groups and just use arrays
instead,
> since we need them for the cache anyway. It would also make the code
much more
> clear.
> However, Ton insists on using groups. I guess if we'd add multiple
rigid body
> worlds someday it would be easier to keep track of objects.

Using groups can be fine, its the way they are integrated, I dont make
any groups - the objects are not green - yet there are 2 groups in the
dropdowns.

Since I've used groups a fair bit in blender, I found the automatic
creation of groups odd, also how the objects are in groups but not
colored green?

To me its not really clear whats happening and blender is using groups
in the code but hiding it a bit from the user.

Personally - Id prefer this either uses groups like the rest of blender
(dupli-groups, group particles etc), or have some internal datastructure
the user doesnt have to know about.

If we need we could have some utility operator 'Add to physics group' if
that is a hassle to do with existing operators.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7092051/