[Bf-codereview] Tiles Compositing Branch (issue 6199066)

brechtvanlommel at gmail.com brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Fri May 11 15:04:49 CEST 2012

Hi Jeroen & Monique, I added a code review because it's easier for me to
comment on specific lines then.

Some issues found in testing:
* Preview images in node (e.g. in the Bokeh Image node) are flickering
when tweaking parameters. Other preview renders in Blender don't clear
the old image each but overwrite it tile by tile, which is much nicer.

* Button labels are invisible in many nodes, due to nodes not being wide
enough or too many buttons being packed in one row. For example in the
Box/Ellipse mask nodes, the labels are invisible even at the maximum
node width.

* The default node with of some nodes should be increased (e.g. Set
Sampler), they're often too narrow to read the labels.

* The color correction node in particular is quite problematic in button
layout. Maybe there should be a column of row labels on the left side?

* For the switch node it's not immediately clear which input socket is
used when. Maybe name the input sockets Off and On? Makes it immediately
clear.

* Bokeh Image angle should allow negative angles, so you don't have to
go all the way around to rotate it a bit in the other direction.

* Regarding chunksize, could the tooltip be made more clear about what
kind of tradeoff it gives (I'm guessing smaller chunk size gives better
distribution of multiple threads, but more overhead).

* Dilate/Erode (2) is not a good name for a node :) Is there any
particular reason this functionality couldn't be merged in the original
node?

* How does this new NodeRenderlayerData work, where is it configured?
And why even have it at all, instead of keeping such transformation in a
separate node? It seems strange that this particular node would have it
while an Image/MovieClip/Texture node does not?

* Adding a Bokeh Image node gives me OpenCL errors in the console. This
is with Use OpenCL disabled.

OPENCL error: OpenCL Warning : clBuildProgram failed: could not build
program for device[0] 0x10301e398 (GeForce 9600M GT) (err:-44)
OPENCL error: [CL_BUILD_ERROR] : OpenCL Build Error : Compiler build
log:
<program source>:3:58: error: parameter may not be qualified with an
address space
__kernel void testKernel(__global __write_only image2d_t output){

http://codereview.appspot.com/6199066/