[Bf-codereview] Normals baker from sculpt data (issue4518055)

brechtvanlommel at gmail.com brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Mon May 16 14:45:11 CEST 2011

http://codereview.appspot.com/4518055/diff/1/source/blender/editors/object/object_bake.c
File source/blender/editors/object/object_bake.c (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/4518055/diff/1/source/blender/editors/object/object_bake.c#newcode898
source/blender/editors/object/object_bake.c:898: result=
sculptbake_image_exec(C, op);
I don't see why we'd need another copy of the DM, but some kind of data
locking would be needed yes.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4518055/diff/1/source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_scene.c
File source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_scene.c (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/4518055/diff/1/source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_scene.c#newcode2823
source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_scene.c:2823:
RNA_def_property_ui_text(prop, "Bake to level", "Bake to specified
subdivision level");
Ok, I would expect it to work the other way around. It seems more
logical to me to bake to what you're looking at in the viewport and
immediately see the result applied to that. It's also more consistent
with existing bake methods, where you also bake to the low resolution
mesh.

The other reason is that if we ever support something like ptex, you
could bake without actually having the full high res mesh in memory.

In terms of memory usage currently, I don't think doing it either way
would make a difference? In either case, you'd have both the low and
high res meshes in memory once.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4518055/