[Bf-codereview] ColorBand structs as ID properties (issue4547071)

lukas.toenne at googlemail.com lukas.toenne at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 5 11:26:09 CEST 2011

On 2011/06/03 11:27:51, ideasman42 wrote:
> On 2011/05/30 16:26:59, lukas.toenne wrote:

> So far I like the way ID properties store primitive types and would
rather not
> have them store colorbands and complex blender structs.

> But having custom nodes store color bands is useful, did you consider
other ways
> of doing this?

I totally understand your concerns about complex data as ID properties,
i'm not really convinced of this either. However, i can't really think
of a better way to let python nodes have custom storage data of this
kind. Any new system implemented to allow nodes to do this would
basically just implement specialized id properties under a different
name.

A more restricted system could use a generic pointer in nodes (just like
current storage) and store a single struct there based on a hardcoded
set of types and access functions. But this would limit nodes to just
one instance of that data and probably require a different way of setup
in python. ID properties provide a unified interface and reuse of an
existing system.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4547071/