[Bf-blender-npr] there are no interest from core developers on NPR which involve BI/BEER

Light BWK wk.bong at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 08:39:28 CEST 2014

Hi,

> the 'beer' project separates itself from everyone who's involved with making Blender
> I am not aware of the "BEER" project communicating on plans with me... and they should just be here, it's a waste of our resources if we don't cooperate.

There are no separation between us and the core devs on NPR. Such
notion is just looking at the whole issue from a shallow perspective.
We talked to as many devs as we could (via irc). But there is this
certain *fear* of BI's code that made almost all main devs distancing
from BI/BEER. We already tried many options to get this project going
since last year. Few NPR animation projects (will not name them) have
already *failed* because of this kind of reaction from developers. It
is really sad if you know the stories and the good people behind those
projects.

So I can ensure you BEER/NPR have not distance ourselves from other
Blender development. In fact, I personally talk to T.K. almost daily
on freestyle and NPR.

BEER is very well documented and linked. If you search for 1, you'll
get the links to everything related. Most of the research we linked
to, have the algorithm and code done. So there is no excuse that BEER
cannot be coded.

To be inclusive here are the links again (posted these few times
already in this mailing list):
http://blendernpr.org/beer-a-wordy-leet-intro-august-2013/
[original explanation of BEER]
http://blendernpr.org/beer-design-overview-july-2014/
[update version of BEER design Overview]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jBnLeqX2At0KjpDE3rSbOoppO4t9ONuiYXNSXIrKE0I/edit#
[an in-depth analysis of NPR]
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:LightBWK
[big proposal page]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v0R3lBbpppD3svk1tCkCov4reLVi1dAQR5c8i4IYF7s/edit
[BEER Development Overview and Feedback]

The plan is to code the architecture for BEER to work. Viewport shader
(in GLSL) will share the same code design as renderer. If the
development solved viewport code, then the renderer code is solved at
the same time.

-- Light