[Bf-blender-npr] priority targets for Freestyle and Blender NPR capabilities

Terry Hancock lunatics.ml14 at anansispaceworks.com
Sun Jul 20 21:22:01 CEST 2014

> Could the frequent NPR artists here feedback on the todo for Tamito?

I sent a message, but the first one bounced for some reason. I did participate
in the Facebook poll.

> He's on an extended contract for the development fund, and I like to see
> his work well supported by as much people here. I can see why it's
> interesting to have Cycles render strokes, but I never would have thought
> it's a priority for anyone.

Myself, I'm not too concerned with Cycles support for Freestyle, as Lunatics
Project is committed to using Blender Internal. I know there are others who
feel differently.

My top priorities for Freestyle would be improving RAM efficiency and reducing
render times.

I would also include in that category, the goal of failing better if it's
going to fail.

Currently, it tends to bog down; hang the computer; and require a complete
reboot if it fails by exceeding RAM limits. This is extremely disruptive to
workflow, and necessitates an overly-cautious testing approach.

It would be better if Freestyle could predict it was going to fail and simply
exit with an error in such cases. Then a binary search would quickly resolve
RAM limit problems (i.e. tell us how far we can push it on given hardware).

It's a much trickier problem to predict when Freestyle is going to demand a
lot of RAM than it is for shading-only renders, where the scaling laws are
fairly simple. If the computer doesn't figure this out, then the artist has to
estimate it. A lot of render time can be wasted if renders crash somewhere in
the middle because of such limits.

> I also thought everyone liked to see more work done on quality rendering
> for NPR (material options especially). Blender Internal is very much ready
> for that.

Yes this is useful, although there are a lot of options. I'd like the ability
to have stroke properties (such as color and thickness) depend on object or
vertex group materials (I believe this is one of the present to-dos).

An issue for us is temporal coherence. TK and I discussed using the view-
dependent parameter on the "suggestive contour" feature to modify line type
properties so that lines could be made to thin or fade out rather than simply
blinking off. This would be nice to have easier access to through the
interface, but since he demonstrated a way to do it in the present interface,
that's sufficient for our immediate needs.

HTH,
Terry

--
Terry Hancock