[Bf-blender-npr] Gimp filtering from a compositing node?

Terry Hancock lunatics.ml14 at anansispaceworks.com
Sat Feb 22 20:07:55 CET 2014

> It IS possible, with some python code (I've only just realized that this is
> a brand-new feature in 2.67!):
>
> * You can write a Blender plug-in that creates a node for the node editor,
> access node sockets, etc. (Python Nodes)

Okay, it's actually not quite this simple. Apparently you can't create new
_compositor_ nodes, but only new nodes in new custom node trees.

OTOH, I can't see any show-stopping reason why you couldn't make a whole new
compositor, implemented in Python and using GIMP for _all_ of the compositing.

Of course, that's a somewhat bigger project.

I'm considering whether it's worth the trouble. The alternative approach is to
generate multiple layers from Blender and do the compositing outside of
Blender -- perhaps with a batch script for GIMP or maybe in CinePaint, using
the OpenEXR format. Another alternative is to look for a Blender-specific
method that is similar to what I want to do and use that instead.

All methods sound pretty complicated, so I'm not sure which is best.

Terry

--
Terry Hancock
Director/Producer - "Lunatics" Project - http://lunatics.tv