[Bf-blender-npr] Feature/improvement idea for Freestyle

Tamito KAJIYAMA rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Apr 7 17:35:12 CEST 2014

Hi Terry,

I have seen many cases too where lines suddenly showing up and
disappearing are distracting, so I see the point of your post.

Concerning crease lines, they are independent of the view point (that
is, they are detected regardless of the camera setting). If objects are
not deformed, then crease lines are stable (i.e., they are always
there). If this kind of stable crease lines undergo sudden vanishing or
appearance, that is likely a bug (please, report it).

Changing the thickness of a crease line depending on the angle between
the two faces on both sides of the line is technically possible. I just
did a proof-of-concept implementation using the Python Scripting mode of
Freestyle in Blender. See https://vimeo.com/91306354 for a quick test
result. Implementing this crease angle dependent line thickness in the
Parameter Editor mode needs further coding (that could be a short term
goal).

Contours, on the other hand, are view dependent lines. Varying contour
line thickness along with camera movement is technically challenging,
because we need to track contour lines from frame to frame. Maintaining
inter-frame properties of lines (such as stability and gradually varying
thickness) is a problem called temporal coherence. Freestyle does not
address it at all. Stéphane Grabli, the primary author of the original
Freestyle program, said in an interview (*) that "this is a difficult
problem which might be best avoided". For now it is unlikely that the
temporal coherence problem is solved in Freestyle for Blender.

*
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/freestyle-jot-and-the-future-of-non-photorealistic-rendering

Best regards,

--