[Bf-animsys] Proposal: Extending bbone edit mode preview

Thomas Seidelmann Thomas.Seidelmann at gmx.de
Fri Aug 11 11:14:18 CEST 2017

Hey everyone,

I am currently working on T48988, which aims to enable bbones easing
parameters for animation. So far I provided a patch there which solves
the core issue and works well.

However I want to use this opportunity to also propose an extension of
the edit mode preview for bbones, which currently does not correspond to
blenders actual behavior and is therefore misleading and less helpful
than it could be. My suggestion would be to make the "Custom Handles"
options available in both edit and pose mode while still sharing the
same data  (as it is currently with the easing parameters). This
clarifies intent and would automatically give the EditBone all relevant
data for drawing an accurate preview which takes the handles, custom or
not, fully into account.

This change would give riggers an accurate visual representation of the
bbones rest pose while in edit mode and enable riggers to take advantage
of bbone setups using non-straight handles. Which is perfectly viable
and often faster and more convenient to setup than relying entirely on
the bbone offset settings alone. You could do this right now, there is
no change in bbone mechanics involved here, but operating blind does not
help the process.

Note that this proposal and the easing parameter fix probably will break
backwards compatibility as the interface changes which means that the
save locations of parameters in the blend files may change as well.

Best regards,
Thomas

---