[Bf-animsys] Bone Heat Weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Tue Apr 18 10:14:30 CEST 2017

Hello Grégory,

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 02:17:15PM +0000, Grégory Roger wrote:
> I can't succeed in parenting a character to a rig with the
> "automatic weights". "Bone Heat Weighting: failed to find solution
> for one or more bones" is always returned.

Can you open a bug report at https://developer.blender.org/? There
you'll be able to attach a blend file that shows the issue. Please try
to make the file as minimal/small as possible to show the problem (so
not with a rig of 100+ bones).

> with "Automatic Weights"  and during the process :
>
> 1. the parts of the mesh with poly/vertex problems should be left
> aside, but on the correct part of the mesh the script should go on
> and assign weights.

I don't know what that sentence means.

> 2. the parts of the mesh with poly/vertex problems should be shown
> selected so that we know WHERE is the problem

That's a good idea.

> Blender 2.78a

Before sending in a bug report, please try a more recent version of
Blender (either the last release or, even better, a daily build from
https://builder.blender.org/download/).

Kind regards,
--
Sybren A. Stüvel