[Bf-animsys] Bone Heat Weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones

Grégory Roger meneerj-a at yahoo.fr
Mon Apr 17 16:17:15 CEST 2017

Hello,
I can't succeed in parenting a character to a rig with the "automatic weights"."Bone Heat Weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones" is always returned.
This method appear to work only with characters made out from cubes....

The characters I use are regular and imported from Poser or created with Manuel Bastioni software.
I read many posts about crossing geometry, non-manifolds, normals, cleaning up etc...I spent hours trying to clean a character, removing non-manifolds, normals, no extra point, no crossing geometry etc... in vain

I have some queries :
    with "Automatic Weights"  and during the process :

1.       the parts of the mesh with poly/vertex problems should be left aside, but on the correct part of the mesh the script should go on and assign weights.2 .      the parts of the mesh with poly/vertex problems should be shown selected so that we know WHERE is the problem
I wonder why this algorithm is so unefficient where "envelope weights" always returns a weightmap zone which is usually pretty good but too wide.(spreading on opposite side of the character)Because of its name, would you answer but  "Envelope weights" has no problems with non-manifolds or whatsoever. and does the job.

In conclusion, "Automatic Weights" should be less restrictive, more informative and assign weightmaps where it can instead of nowhere at all.

Thanks for your help.
Gregus

Blender 2.78a