[Bf-animsys] Grease pencil and Storyboarding

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:10:13 CET 2015

Hi Matias,

Some quick replies below :)

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:53 AM, mendiobox <info at mendiobox.com> wrote:

> *B - DRAWING TOOLS:*
>
> 1.- When drawing with "Continuous Drawing" enabled, it is now possible to
> quickly use the eraser for one-off strokes without exiting the drawing
> mode, starting again with the eraser, and then exiting and returning to the
> original mode. (18e849b)
> > Great update! I love it. Right now the only way to use that with the pen
> tablet is holding right button on the pen to switch modes, but I wonder if
> this could be switch using some keyboard shortcut. What is your idea to
> support better the tablets?

Actually, I was pondering the idea of adding stuff like pressing EKEY to
switch to the eraser, and D to start drawing again. Probably all that would
be nicer if we also got a dedicated "modal keymap" for handling stuff
within the sketching session.

Another idea I had was that perhaps it should handle the tablet eraser
events too - since I don't have one myself (well, yet... ;), I can't really
say whether this is really something that seems so natural to have.

BTW, do you have any thoughts about what we could do for resolving
https://developer.blender.org/T43867 ? It's about exiting draw mode when
you have no keyboard

> 2.- The appearance of the eraser has been improved, to make its purpose
> clearer (da78d2d74255)
> *> The icon disappear when you are erasing without holding right button.
> Example: When you select ERASE and then click (left button) with the mouse
> or use a pen tablet without holding right button, the eraser still works
> but don't show the icon. (I reported a BUG here:
> https://developer.blender.org/T43941
> <https://developer.blender.org/T43941>)*

Ack! Probably partially caused by my own tweaks here for the previous
changes :(    But, at least Severin is on it! :)

> 3.- F can be used to control the size of the eraser in Strokes Edit Mode
> (ab3f037)
> *> Thanks to include that! I Love it. Anyway right now you can only tweak
> the size on edit mode but not when you are already erasing. This could be
> possible?*

It doesn't really work that well with the modal operator, but I could have
a play around. My guess though is that this just ends up being crazy bad
really quick, unless we start duplicating that functionality here...

> *C - UI TWEAKS:*
>
> 1.- Color swatches for both Stroke and Fill colors are now shown (155bb05)
> *> OK.*
>
> 2.- Grease Pencil data and layers are now shown in the Outliner (68fc2e2)
> *> Amazing! Grease Pencil is started treated as any other object in
> Blender. Way to go!. I noticed that the outliner only show the currently
> used GP datablock, not all of them if there are. This is the intended
> behaviour? If we show every GP datablock on outliner, could be a fast
> shorcut to change between them. What do you think?*

It's currently only showing the ones that are actually attached to
something. It might be an idea to show all of them in some dedicated mode,
or something similar though. Will need to think about it a bit more.