[Bf-animsys] Grease pencil and Storyboarding

mendiobox info at mendiobox.com
Fri Jan 16 16:14:32 CET 2015

Hi Joshua,

Maybe you already saw my GP test for Cosmos Laundromat
http://gooseberry.blender.org/blender-2-73-a-new-storyboard-workflow/

GP work great for storyboard and animatic job!

As Ton well said on the blog post

"What started as a quick way to add notes in the viewport, has now grown into a powerful animation tool for sketching storyboards – and even final animations"

I think GP deserve a new prominent place in Blender. My idea is give it the same treatment like any other objects, so I came out with 3 great changes to give it more consistency and better workflow:

1. The idea is allow select GP on the viewport and then enter on Edit mode with TAB as with other objects. So GP can have their own set of menu on the header (select - Add - Grease Pencil for example) and that way we avoid duplicate menus and behaviours on the tab panel.

2. Include GP in the outliner so we can block/allow selection, view, render (see #3) etc.

3. Possibility to render GP without the need to convert to 3D object (I think you're already on this using some kind of brushes or freestyle)

I also found a new bug (maybe you can confirm it): On Dope sheet when you're in GP context, the UP/DOWN key don't work to jump between previous and next frames.

Good news is that I contact Antoni and he will care about DOF and greasepencil on the viewport.

Let me know about your opinions on my proposal and your progress on GP

Thanks!
Matías