[Bf-animsys] Storyboarding and VSE

johan tri handoyo johantri at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 03:22:34 CET 2015

Hello Joshua Leung (and evryone), Ton's tweet brought me here :)

Firstable i want to say that this feature is very important for all
animation/movie maker out there, and thank you for all the hardwork to make
this feature come true.

If you open for any suggestion or feedback, my main concern is that how the
Grease Pencil can fully integrated to VSE. That because VSE will be the
main editing tool, and how this "Storyboarding" tool can make director or
editor live easier.

I have several idea in mind, based on my experience using VSE to create
animatic, and my experience using another software:

THE FILL TOOL (FOR COLOR OR SHADOW)
The drawing tools features should be fully available both in 3D view or
VSE. There are several GP feature that went missing in VSE at the moment.
For me Grase Pencil features is sufficient enough, it was designed to
create the image in an expresive way. I mean you can fill color/shade with
it, but it will depends on your skill not to spill the color out of the
outline. It's not the conventional way (like other software do to fill
closed curve) to fill the color, but i really like it, let's keep it that
way but with more enhanced workflow in the future.

a). For me the layer in Grease Pencil is pretty much similar to Toonboom
layering tool. For example, in Blender, the top layer will be the outline
layer, and lower layer will be color fill/shader or shadow layer. But in
Toonboom there are several embeded layer (or name it sub-layer if you like)
within the main layer to handle the color or shadow. And each main layer
will be used for different character. For me, this is much better to
organize.

b). In Toonboom, before we fill the color for character in embeded layer,
there is one button that used to detect the closed curved of the main
outline layer, once we click that feature, in the sub-layer, there is this
thin blue line so we can see the outline margin. By using the fill tool in
more expresive way (using gesture like circling the blank area) the fill
tool will detect the closed curve and fill it with color. There is another
feature to detect the closed curved threshold, very convenient for someone
who want to color quickly without bothered whether the curve is fully
closed or not.

ANIMATE THE GREASE PENCIL VERTEX
There are several cases when the storyboard characters required to move,
but if the GP Vertex can be animated (just like mask vertex did). It will
much faster to achieve instead of re-drawing it or add arrow movement draw,
which is not elegant for me.

TEXT TOOL
Yes, this is somehow required if you want to add script to animatic, which
is led to another feature for hardcopy documentation purposes. This tool
also usefull if you want to develop it further into subtitling feature.

PDF EXPORT
Very useful for animator, voice actor, director or anyone who want or
prefer to access to the story quickly without opening a computer or Blender
(you have to print it first of course). This PDF will have a format that
easy to read. We can see the storyboard act clearly, the script, duration
of the shot etc.

SOUND RECORDER IN VSE
This features will be very usefull so the director can quickly add
temporary voice over, to examine the timing of the shots or maybe just to
see if the punch line works or not. Or even better for anime production,
usually anime records the voice over after all the animation is done.

I hope it's not too long to read, i apologize for my bad english :D

Kind Regards,
Jo