[Bf-animsys] Grease pencil and Storyboarding

mendiobox info at mendiobox.com
Fri Jan 9 16:18:43 CET 2015

Hi Joshua Leung (and everyone here)

I'm Matias Mendiola, the storyboard artist in Gooseberry project.

First let me tell you that you’re doing a really great job on Grease pencil. Congratulations!
The idea is to use Grease pencil as the main tool for storyboarding and animatic process for future Gooseberry storyboard work, so Ton told me to get on contact via this mailing list in order to give you my feedback, request, proposal, etc.

Just to start, some notes about Grease pencil:

Bugs:

1. I have a weird bug using fills (seems related to NVIDIA card) on one of my computers. I created a bug report here https://developer.blender.org/T43149

2. I notice a diferent behaviour when deleting: DEL key don't work the same way as X key to delete when editing strokes. Is this by design?

The principal features that I'd love to have in GP soon to test for Gooseberry Storyboard (some of them are on your blog already):

1.  DOF on Viewport OpenGL. (Now it works on Gooseberry branch but on all strokes the same no matter what distance they are to focus point)

2. Fills only inside shapes.

3. Brush types or Freestyle integration for more artistic and smoother lines

4. Layers group to make easier the work on different characters/backgrounds

Proposals to improve GP:

1. Use F key to change eraser size (as on texture paint mode)

2. Posibility to change the paint cursor icon to brush size (as on texture paint mode)

Let me know anything you need for me and please be aware that I’m living on the other side of the world (Argentina), so delayed responses could happen. :)

Best
Matias