[Bf-animsys] New depsGraph and rigging concept in blender

Boris Cohen Tanugi b.cohen.tanugi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 23:08:48 CEST 2015

Hello !

First, sorry for my english, hope to be clear enough.

Here is the issue i met some days ago and want to talk about :

https://developer.blender.org/T45903

According to Aligorith's drawing, using spline IK whithin an armature still
create a dependency cycle through Init Pose even with the new depsGraph.

Thing is, there shouldn't be any dependency cycle here as bones controlling
curves and bones controlled by the curve have no relation beetween each
other (except being part of the same armature).

Based on the idea that this armature container for bone is the issue (the
reason why a general init Pose is need), i ll try to explain how it could
possibly works (from other software concept).
If i'm wrong with this statement, hem.. Have a good day (:

In blender bones are part of an armature object wherease in other softwares
(Maya/Houdini/Max, don't know about the others), bones are simple objects
with special properties (mainly for skinning).

Using this armature "container" offer many advantage, ie:
- isolate all the freaking rigging things in one object
- allow to have a special mode for animation (Pose Mode)
- allow cleaner bone naming (not need of specific marker by character)
- allow edit mode witch is so pleasant to use
- can facilitate animation process (selection/mirroring/etc)
- add here what you want !

But create some issue too, compare to using simple "bone object":
- this Init Pose...
- Scripting bones (having to switch back and forth beetween object/edit
mode while losing bone reference (we have to store name each time)
- create non deforming bones where simple empty can do it
- animate multiple rigs at the same time
- add here what you want !

Don't make me wrong, i love rigging in blender and that's my job since 4
years now.
Best of both world would be to keep the armature idea, avoiding the issues
it causes. For now, having bones as object would make it unusable (due to
the fixed layer number).

Don't hesitate to correct me if i'm wrong, if you have better
knowledge/good solution, or to open discussion (pyDriver/other rigging
concept/cake recipe...) !

Thanks for reading :)