[Bf-animsys] Collada improvements ...

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Sat Nov 29 12:32:25 CET 2014

Hi;

I have been working on the Collada import of Rigs.
Here is a comparison screenshot from yesterday:

     http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=80524

Before i check this in i would like to test in more detail
if this works in general, so i need some collada files
which are known to make troublesome Armatures when
importing to Blender.

So if you have some .dae files with troublesome rigs,
please can you point me to where i can find them ?
thanks.

-gaia-

== Details on the improvements ==

=== Bones with no connected children align to their parent bone ===
These bones now point into the same direction as their
"connection line to their parent bone".
Before they pointed towards positive global Y.
This change is not critical because only the Bone tails of
unconnected bones are affected.  So it is kind of a
cosmetic improvement.

=== parent-child connect along longest bone chain ===
I added a "chain finder" which connects a bone
to the child that has the longest bone chain.

If there are 2 or more longest bone chains of the same length,
then the finder tries to find a smaller bone chain.
You can see what happens in the example:

The torso bone has 3 child bone chains  (2 arms , and the upper spine)

The arm chains are the longest, but the finder can not decide
which of them to use, so it finally uses the spine chain which
is recognized as "the best alternative".

I know this is not a general solution, but it seems to works nicely
for symmetric rigs at least. I added an import option to enable/disable
the chain finder.