[Bf-animsys] Layered Bone Deform

Bassam Kurdali bassam at urchn.org
Mon Nov 17 22:56:46 CET 2014

Ok, so since writing this I've talked to Daniel on IRC and I think I can
conditionally approve of this after all:

The main thing we discussed that it could be done without changing
armature code much (maybe not at all?) and not armature interface,
Instead, we could introduce something like sets or folders for Vertex
Groups. The armature modifiers on the mesh object could then take this
Vertex Group Set as an optional argument, and then it would restrict to
those bones/groups. This has some advantages:

1- does what Daniel wants
2- folders or sets could be used purely as organizational tools for long
lists of vgroups, useful for everybody.
3- could solve some issues with auto weights assignment, allowing
restriction to vgroup set (and automatically adding weights into that
sets) which would solve a specific corner case issue (an armature
deforming multiple meshes, with some bones that are specific to some
meshes....)
4- Vgroup sets could be used as a way to do future features not
specifically related to armatures (for instance, as normalization sets
or so)