[Bf-animsys] Layered Bone Deform

Daniel Salazar - patazstudio.com zanqdo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 06:46:46 CET 2014

Hi, got an idea I'd like to propose.

Currently for one armature modifier you get one deformation layer,
meaning all bones/vgroups are solved in the same level. To achieve
different layers of bone deformation you have to use multiple
armatures + armature modifiers.

Imagine the following example based on Franck the Sheep's facial rig:

Layer 1: Mouth shape
Layer 2: Jaw
Layer 3: Snout deformation

That's 3 deformation armatures only for a basic facial rig to work!

If we could group bones in deformation layers so that each layer has
it's own independent weight deformation we could use only 1
deformation armature. Each layer will recieve the previous layer's
deformation as it's basis and it will work on top of that, usually
details first and then coarse deformation.

opinions?

Daniel Salazar
patazstudio.com