[Bf-animsys] Import of Joints (issues with leaf bones)

Jeffrey H italic.rendezvous at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 18:00:28 CET 2013

The problem you're running into is that Maya does not orient its end
joints. To illustrate, show your local axes on all of your joints, orient
your joints, and see that your other orientations change, whereas the end
joints do not. Why Maya does this I am not certain, but I would imagine it
has to do with being unable to find the proper X axis to align to (since it
doesn't have a tail). What you would do in Maya is create your chains with
an extra end joint to define that last bone. You'd typically do this in
Maya rigging anyway, simply to allow for IKs or properly oriented deform
joints.

I wouldn't say there's any solution you could implement at export because
Maya simply does not like to orient end joints; you'd have to do it
manually.