[Bf-animsys] 2.68 Improvements to weight Painting tools

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Sat Jun 22 12:26:49 CEST 2013

Hi, Nathan;

Thanks for your ideas. see my replies on the
text below:

On 18.06.2013 01:13, Nathan Vegdahl wrote:
> Hi Gaia,
> The subset modes are a great idea!  It would be cool to add "selected
> modifier" or something like that, which allows the user to specify a
> particular mesh modifier from which relevant vertex groups will be
> pulled to operate on.  Something similar for getting vertex groups
> from shape keys could also be cool.

Yes, i think it would make a lot of sense if we could exactly define
which vgroups
should be affected. However currently modifiers can not be "selected".
So i am
not sure how we can implement that best.

well, we maybe could add something like "vgroup display layers" some time
in the future. But this sounds like a whole new level of extra complexity.

>> Make a continuous "Paste" function:
>>
>> Instead of clicking the Paste icon on demand, we could
>> add an optionto paste continuously while the weight of
>> the active vertex changes.This would allow to interactively
>> adjust a loop for example, or an entire area by dragging
>> one weight in the weight editor.
> I would rather see an "average weight" mode, which displays the mean
> weight of all selected vertices for each VG, which you can then
> manipulate.  I'm not entirely sure what the best behaviors for that
> would be, though, in terms of how e.g. dragging vs typing values would
> affect the vertex weights.  Maybe dragging could scale the values
> appropriately for each vertex, but entering a value directly would set
> it for all vertices...?

That is what i wanted to adress in the "Add different Paste modes" proposal
so when continuous paste is enabled, then the paste mode would define what
happens:

- add (add the difference of a change to the selected verts)
- replace (copies the weights to the selected verts)

I meanwhile believe that these 2 modes are the only reasonable modes
we can provide.

Replacing the display by average weight when multiple verts are selected
makes sense to me.

-gaia-