[Bf-animsys] 2.68 Improvements to weight Painting tools

Nathan Vegdahl nathanvegdahl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 01:13:16 CEST 2013

Hi Gaia,
The subset modes are a great idea!  It would be cool to add "selected
modifier" or something like that, which allows the user to specify a
particular mesh modifier from which relevant vertex groups will be
pulled to operate on.  Something similar for getting vertex groups
from shape keys could also be cool.

Being able to specify subsets for the "transfer weights" operator
would be particularly useful, I think, yes.

> Make a continuous "Paste" function:
>
> Instead of clicking the Paste icon on demand, we could
> add an optionto paste continuously while the weight of
> the active vertex changes.This would allow to interactively
> adjust a loop for example, or an entire area by dragging
> one weight in the weight editor.

I would rather see an "average weight" mode, which displays the mean
weight of all selected vertices for each VG, which you can then
manipulate.  I'm not entirely sure what the best behaviors for that
would be, though, in terms of how e.g. dragging vs typing values would
affect the vertex weights.  Maybe dragging could scale the values
appropriately for each vertex, but entering a value directly would set
it for all vertices...?

--Nathan