[Bf-animsys] Depsgraph Refactor - GSoC2013 System Design Proposal

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Jul 5 22:07:04 CEST 2013

Looks quite good, some questions:

* What is the purpose of ID Groups?

* Scheduling Nodes for Evaluation: I read this in the libEE paper as
well, but I don't really understand the usefulness of caching the
nodes needed for editing some particular value, this seems like a very
quick operation if the dependency graph is already built. Maybe they
aren't caching the graph at all?

* What is the querying API exactly? Reading this it's not clear to me:

>> Tools should be able to ask the depsgraph questions like: “What objects/datablocks depend on this thing I'm editing?”, or “If I'm updating this piece of data, >> what other objects/drivers/constraints do I need to update to correctly evaluate this?”

Later it mentions that only the outer nodes would be part of the
querying API, but to me it seems like if e.g. an operator edits an
object transform, it should be able to tag just the transform as
modified. Same if you would have e.g. a mesh modifier node, you want
to only tag the node for that modifier. But as I understand it these
are inner nodes?

Not all inner nodes maybe be interesting to be able to query, but it
should be finer then just ID block level I think?

* "Filtering", I don't understand what that means here?

* Maybe more related to proxies, but I think we should make a clear
distinction between groups/objects that are instanced (evaluated at
their original location and duplicated into a new place without any
evaluation, so fast and memory efficient) or proxied (evaluated in
their new place, possibly interacting with other objects there).