[Bf-animsys] What is the "active" group in the Transfer weights tool ?

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Thu Jul 4 16:28:18 CEST 2013

Hi;

while writing the documentation for the Weight Paint tools i found
that the Transfer weights tool has a bit unclear specification:

In the parameter Section we can choose to transfer either
the "Active Group" or "All Groups". But it is not clear what
"Active Group" is here.

For example look at this case:

- I have a rigged character with no weight groups
- I have an Armature in Pose mode assigned to my character
- I have 3 source meshes from which i want to copy the weights
- Each of the source meshes has a different active vgroup.
- I have selected one of the armature pose bones as active bone.

When i now select the 3 source meshes and my character,
and then call the transfer Weights tool, by default i end up with
3 vertex groups corresponding to the 3 active groups of the source
meshes. Furthermore my active weight group is set to the last of
the 3 weight groups. And the active bone also remains active.
Is that the intended behavior?

Here is my expectation what should happen in the above case:

1.) I have selected an active bone, hence
i expect the active vgroup is the bone's deform group.

2.) Hence the weight transfer tool should
     transfer the weights for the active bone weight group

3.) When the tool is finished i expect that the active
     group has been copied from the other meshes (if it exists
     there) and the active vgroup matches the active bone
     and is visible in weight paint mode.

====

In a nutshell i expect:

If object has active deform group set, that's it.
else if object has an active pose bone set, that's it,
else object has no active group, neither before nor
after the weight transfer.

====

Now tell me if i am right or if the current behavior is
what blender users want to have :)

thanks,
Gaia