[Bf-animsys] Proposal for adding a color swatch to the weight paint panel

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 01:33:38 CEST 2013

Hi Gaia,
My gut reaction is that this isn;t needed, probably because I did lots
of weight painting and never found myself wanting this...

Heres my attempt to rationalize.

-  When you pick a weight you don't think - "I Want Green", you think
of some factor... Half, 75% 1/3 for eg.
... So this wouldn't be so useful to select weights, its more useful
as a kind of legend to what you are seeing in the 3D view.
- If may be useful if you see a weight in the 3D view and want to
match it but in this case you're better off picking it
  (Ctrl+LMB, in fact this is a bit hidden, possibly we should have a
weight picker icon, as we do for color picker, but thats a different
issue).
- The use as a legend to describe what you see in the 3D view could be
OK, but if you're doing deformations, you become familiar with the
colors fairly fast IMHO, so I don't think its really so helpful for
that either.

The effort to make this custom button, and then resolve issues like
custom colorbands that make text hard to see, imho is not so helpful,
maybe a color swatch to the right of the button could work, but then
users would think this is a color picker - so how to make that more
obvious is new problem :) - maybe it can be only visible when
dragging?... not sure.

On a related topic though, something I do wish we had is a quick way
to select common weights - checked 2.49 and we had 5 buttons: [0, 1/4,
1/2, 3/4, 1]
These were really handy - If we had buttons like this below the weight
slider and those were colored to match the weight, I think that could
work.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I propose to add a color swatch to the Weight Paint panel
> very similar to what we have for Vertex paint and texture Paint,
> but just showing the color band, like here for example:
>
>      http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=54593 (mockup on the left side)
>
> The idea is to have a visual information about the weight brush color
> besides the pure value information indicated in the weight button.
> If we implement this swatch, then it will of course take any
> custom weighting color band from the user preferences if defined.
> Otherwise it  will show the default cold/hot rainbow color band.
>
> If i get a positive vote for my proposal then i have the
> permission from Kaito to add it to the panel :)
> Please let me know your opinion and your own ideas for
> a better solution.
>
> Thanks for responding ;)
> -gaia-

- Campbell