[Bf-animsys] Animation Proposal

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 05:43:58 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Nathan Vegdahl <nathanvegdahl at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Regarding directly editing keyframes on the timeline:
>> Could you outline
>> some scenarios where simply collapsing all the channels in the
>> dopesheet doesn't satisfy this sort of workflow yet?
>
>   I don't mean to sound like a broken record here, and my intent is
> not to nag, so please don't take this the wrong way.  The animato
> design is up to you, obviously.  But... since the dopesheet organizes
> by action (which makes sense), and since actions are per-object, any
> animation involving more than one object (i.e. two or more characters
> interacting, or a character manipulating a prop) cannot be collapsed
> to a single row in the dopesheet.
>
>   If you want to preserve the action-per-object design, this problem
> could be solved by having a top-level "summary" row in the hierarchy.
>From various responses to this proposal so far, it sounds like this is
probably the most 'agreed on' solution for this. This is not a lot of
work to add at all, but I should probably clarify here the
expectations for this:
* Do we want it in a separate region running across the top of the
dopesheet so that it always stays in view, or is it fine to just just
have it being the first row in the hierarchy?

>> Also on the subject of the IKEY, I should note here that I had
>> originally intended keyframes to be able to be added simply by using
>> some simply key (like IKEY) without a menu but with a semi-transparent
>> tooltip confirming the operation which would appear and fade out in a
>> non-blocking way. Alternatively, a more complicated hotkey combo could
>> be used to show the menu to choose the keying set to use.
>> Unfortunately, that confirmation menu doesn't seem immediately obvious
>> how to implement, and last time I checked there might still have been
>> hotkey clashes that'd need to be resolved.
>
>   IMO, it's worth implementing that functionality even without the
> tooltip for now.

Any suggestions for a hotkey for this (i.e. the version without the
menu)? Currently you could just hook up the same operator used in the
TimeLine header to some hotkey to try this out :)