[Bf-animsys] Animation Proposal

Nathan Vegdahl nathanvegdahl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 23:51:33 CEST 2009

> I second the remarks regarding the move towards more "traditional"
> based workflows.

   And I third it.
   In general, moving the workflow more into the 3d viewport is a good
thing, I think.  The 3d viewport can show the "what", and time-line
style UI's (like the dopesheet) can show the "when".  At least, that's
a direction I'd like to see things move in.
   As an animator, the less I have to use conceptually abstract UI's
like the graph editor, the better (although it's always useful to have
in a pinch ;-)).

> Regarding directly editing keyframes on the timeline:
> In general, I'll have to admit to being quite pessimistic about the
> worth of this;

   Ditto.  IMO this functionality should stay in the dopesheet/action
editor.  The timeline should just be for scrubbing and managing
markers.

> Could you outline
> some scenarios where simply collapsing all the channels in the
> dopesheet doesn't satisfy this sort of workflow yet?

   I don't mean to sound like a broken record here, and my intent is
not to nag, so please don't take this the wrong way.  The animato
design is up to you, obviously.  But... since the dopesheet organizes
by action (which makes sense), and since actions are per-object, any
animation involving more than one object (i.e. two or more characters
interacting, or a character manipulating a prop) cannot be collapsed
to a single row in the dopesheet.

   If you want to preserve the action-per-object design, this problem
could be solved by having a top-level "summary" row in the hierarchy.

> Also on the subject of the IKEY, I should note here that I had
> originally intended keyframes to be able to be added simply by using
> some simply key (like IKEY) without a menu but with a semi-transparent
> tooltip confirming the operation which would appear and fade out in a
> non-blocking way. Alternatively, a more complicated hotkey combo could
> be used to show the menu to choose the keying set to use.
> Unfortunately, that confirmation menu doesn't seem immediately obvious
> how to implement, and last time I checked there might still have been
> hotkey clashes that'd need to be resolved.

   IMO, it's worth implementing that functionality even without the
tooltip for now.

--Nathan V