[Bf-animsys] F-Curve Colouring - Comments

bassam bkurdali at freefactory.org
Sun May 17 21:45:40 CEST 2009

what the colors do is help separate the curves out from each other, some
more contrast against the bg would be good (maybe this has to use the
theme somehow), other comments:
-in a busy line-up, it is sometimes difficult to tell which handle goes
to which curve.
-in a busy line-up, it is often hard to tell which cuve goes with which
label on the left.

some suggestions that might help:

bring back edit mode for curves, *or* bring back some of it's benefits,
by adding onto the lock/hide options more , such as an ability to grey
out all other channels/highlight one channel, and the ability to hide
handles on other channels then the one being edited, some more detailed
ideas follow:

-as I mentioned earlier, highlighting when you click on a channel label,
the curve it is representing. this works with shift selecting, selecting
all, etc.

-inverse of this is ghosting all curves except the selected ones.

-or, the ability to show only the handles of the selected labels (works
with shift/select all/select inverse, etc)

-color coding the handles to match the curves (I suspect this one will
end in tears )

-some kind of smart filtering widget, like facetzoom, that allows fast
viewing, filtering and selection of the curves,
http://advancingusability.wordpress.com/2008/03/31/facetzoom-first-open-source-release/

(ps, I know this last thing is in the 'extemely unlikely to happen'
category, just wanted to provide an example )

cheers
Bassam

-