[Bf-animsys] (Slightly OT) - Duplication Ideas

bassam bkurdali at freefactory.org
Fri May 15 21:44:14 CEST 2009

Hi Aligorith, my understanding here is that this works both for duplis
and for proxies, is that correct?
for proxies, some questions:

*will it be possible to proxify any datablock, e.g. create a proxy
material that allows overriding material settings from the original
file?

*if we e.g. have a clothsim setup in the library file, can we proxify
the mesh object, thus forcing the sim to calculate locally (i.e. the
mesh data itself is linked, but the modifier is evaluated and cached
locally in the scene file), thus allowing characters with dynamic
cloths, softbody, hair, etc. to work easily and predicatbly

*I assume python will be able to create proxies, allowing TD's to make
simple shot setup scripts.

*chaining references should work (I guess this is a big part of your
plan).

*will it be possible to have multiple proxies for the same group in a
file? eg, 3 library-linked zombies having 3 proxified armatures, all
from the same library zombie.

slightly off-topic feature request: can we allow IDprops (custom data)
to be attached to bones as well as armatures? this would be very
important for scripting/rigging.

cheers
Bassam