[Bf-animsys] William - NLA Tests Vid (2009 June 10/11)

Nathan Vegdahl nathanvegdahl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 08:32:12 CEST 2009

Hrm.  That's a good point.  Upon thinking about it further, it also
generally seems like that kind of auto-switching could get confusing
even in "normal" situations.  So scratch that.  Better for the user to
explicitly control what they want.

So perhaps, instead, tab in the NLA could switch both the active
action and set the clip to use as the active timeline?  When working
inside the NLA editor this would be identical to the current behavior.

But then when switching actions outside of the NLA editor (such as in
the action editor), there can be some kind of "reasonable" heuristic
for choosing a clip initially.  Then if it's not what the user wants,
they can select and hit tab on another clip of that action.

Also, to reiterate a previous point: I think it's important to be able
to create and edit actions outside of the NLA.  For example, for
rigging, or for creating libraries of actions for a variety of
possible uses.  For that we need a "local" edit mode, that just edits
an action on its own local timeline, without other actions affecting
the scene at all.

Anyhoo, just some thoughts.  Maybe there's an even simpler way to deal
with all of this.  IMO, the simpler the better as long as we don't
sacrifice too much flexibility.

Also, I wonder what should happen when you switch to an action (via
action editor) that isn't in the NLA at all.

Geeze, this could get confusing...
Any other ideas?  I'm fairly confident at the moment that an
action-oriented workflow, rather than a clip-oriented workflow, is
best for editing actions.  But I think we also want the timeline being
edited (in the NLA case) to be explicitly controlled by the user?

Maybe (hopefully?) there's a better way than this.  This seems kind of messy.

--Nathan V