[Bf-animsys] NLA System SoC - 'Phase 1' more or less complete

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 06:44:27 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I figured that I should just leave a little note here about the current
status of the NLA SoC progress. As of the time of writing, I consider phase
1 of this project 'complete'.

What was phase 1 again?
- Implementation of the workflow + broad outline of the NLA system as
described http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Aligorith/SummerOfCode2009
(basically the same as the doc I posted a few weeks ago).
- Implementation of most (actually, just enough of the core stuff) of the
backend code to evaluate NLA, including IO-code for new system,
RNA-wrapping...
- Implementation of enough basic tools for the basic NLA design to be tested

<--- We are here... it's a good point now to try and animate a few shots and
get a feel for what's working (I hope that is most if not all of it :) /
not-working >:( --->

Phase 2 involves:
- Version patching code
- Finishing off some of the more complicated evaluation matters (mostly new
stuff) - F-Curve controls for influence + time, transitions, threadsafety
for evaluating values that only occur in some strips
- Long overdue code cleanup work on some things I quickly threw together in
places
- Implementing tools which make NLA use more fun + more efficient

Phase 3?
- Foundations for auto-walker stuff... if I get some time, I might even code
one if there's sufficient interest :)

A cool piece of trivia I should mention at this stage is that the NLA system
is about as functional as the trunk version :)  That is, in terms of tools
implemented, it's just about the same (there are 2-3 tools I know of which I
haven't implemented yet, though there are ways around that). In terms of
evaluation code, there are many things the new system has that the old
doesn't (not considering the stuff we've decided to cull or move elsewhere).

Laters,
Joshua