[Bf-animsys] NLA Object Channels Ordering

Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com zanqdo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 15:00:31 CEST 2009

I was testing the progress of the NLA and noticed something odd and
went to report to Joshua as a bug

http://www.zanqdo.com/tmp/nlastripper.png

in that image what object all those NLA strips belong to? Not "Mesh"
but a hidden object below all the strips! So as said I went to tell
Aligorith and he tells me he thinks the same but some people in here
think that's actually a good idea? I have no clue why but he tells me
they are following the way the ancient Sequencer works for the
evaluation order of NLA strips. Well, thats ugly and inconsistent with
modifier and constraint stacks but its understandable.

Now why the object channel would have to follow this convention that
makes no sense and will only confuse everyone? It not only makes no
sense but its absolutely no relevant to the animation result since the
order of *different* object channels in the NLA editor simply makes no
difference.

Photoshop adopts this kind of evaluation ordering too, and as I said,
its ok. Inconsistent with some parts of blender and consistent with
others but hey its Blender. Now see what Photoshop does in hes layer
manager with the groups/containers/folders

http://www.binary-artist.com/photoshop_tutorials/images/photoshop_layer.gif

Of course they follow human instinct and don't put the cap on the button!

Daniel Salazar
Cel: (506) 8366 8384
Offi: (506) 2219 0511
www.3developer.com