[Bf-animsys] Visualisation Matters

Gianmichele Mariani g.mariani at liquidnet.it
Fri Aug 14 09:15:14 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,
I just would like to give my opinion from an animator's point of view.
First of all let me tell you that these are features that every animator
uses on a daily bases and so would be really appreciated.

About ghosting, or as it's called in the 2d arena, onion skinning, it is
used mainly during the construction of a pose and in the blocking/breakdown
definition phase. As a result I think the the only ability should be to
visualize the previous and next keyframe (not frame). That is why should be
on the actual mesh and not on bones or other things (I still don't know how
one can use only the armature to pose a character).

Checking arcs and polishing is done with the path editing tool. Normally, at
least that's what I do in the "other" application, I parent a null/locator
to the point that I want to track, and use that as a track reference,
because 90% of the time I don't need to track a forearm, but simply the
flick of the tip of a finger if that makes sense. Tip of the nose, elbow,
mostly extremities. So having a quick way to also setup this would be really
helpful.
Of course if you then can edit the path in realtime that would be great, but
immediate feedback here is the word, being it just realtime update or
 editing in the viewport.

Thanks a lot Aligorith for everything you're doing, Blender is really
becoming a powerhouse for animation :D

Gianmichele

PS: I'm 70% into finishing a big proposal for animation. I hope to have it
ready for next week.