[Bf-animsys] Visualisation Matters

William Reynish william at reynish.com
Wed Aug 12 22:03:13 CEST 2009

Hi Joshua,

Interesting proposal. One of the annoyances of animation in 2.49 was
that these useful visualization options were limited to just bones -
how about enabling these on all objects in 2.5? Being able to directly
adjust the path of the camera, for example, would be very useful. In
fact I hope most of the bone-only features can become more global
(quaternion rotations, for example).

On 12 Aug, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Joshua Leung wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Once again, it's that time of the year when I start looking into
> doing another incremental round of improvements on the visualisation
> features - i.e. ghosting and paths in particular.
>
> At the time of writing, there are two big "holy grails" that would
> be nice to have:
> 1) ghosting of the actual meshes deformed by the armatures, and

IMHO this could be useful in some situations, but most of the time the
output would probably be too messy to be useful. Already with armature
ghosting it's often all but impossible to see what's going on, though
it's not so bad when only ghosting one bone at a time. From where I
stand this is honestly not that interesting a feature, but this is:

> 2) editing of the path verts

This would be simply incredible. This would be fantastically useful,
esp if you could edit bezier path curves in 3D. I'm sure it's not easy
though. I'd definitely advocate to not introduce yet another mode, and
let the user just select curve points and translate them. You are
right that you'd only want to tweak one or a few bones at a time, but
you could instead have a toggle for each bone to display its animation
curve on or off. I don't follow what the problem would be of letting
this be editable within pose mode (or even object mode for objects?).
What ' established expectations' are violated?

Cheers,

-William