[Verse-dev] Java bindings

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Thu Sep 25 16:02:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Stuart Axon <stuaxo2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Any idea how much work would be involved?

Well ... Not "too much", but it's hard to quantize, plus it's been a
couple of years since I had my nose deep in the Verse API.

If you can read C, you can have a look yourself at the API header.
It's in SVN here:
<https://projects.blender.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/verse/verse.h?revision=3884&root=verse&view=markup>

I had some trouble surfing this up (I had to log in ... ?), not sure
if that is how it is supposed to work. If so, you might need to create
an account with Blender to get access.

>  I have a friend who might be interested in doing it; I have no idea of the size of the verse api.

Show your friend the Verse code in SVN at projects.blender.org, let
him decide for himself. :)

> To start with I just want enough working to get a
> demo with some cubes working.

That is ... not a lot, but not a little either. :)

> Basically in processing, the things I want to run through verse are:
>

> pushMatrix
> popMatrix
> Box(size)  <-  Makes a cube in the current colour
> rotateX
> rotateY
> rotateZ  <-  These all just change the current matrix, which you push
>
> lights  <- enables lighting

I don't know Processing, but Verse does not work at this level ... You
can't "push the matrix" in Verse, it's not a rendering API but more of
a data description system that lets you share a "world" across
multiple machines.

> I'm hoping that once a basic demo is working maybe people will be interested in contributing and filling out the api (maybe from the processing community or wherever)

Sounds like a nice enough goal ... Good luck, if you chose to proceed!

Regards,