[Verse-dev] The Common Denominator is NURBS

jonathan ferguson jdpf at edumetrics.org
Tue Apr 24 16:55:34 CEST 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Esben Stien wrote:

> Joe Eagar <joeedh at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I seem to remember reading that nurbs are based on b-splines and
>> subdivision surfaces are based on bezier patches mathematically.
>
> Almost true. NURBS are b-splines, though non uniform and rational;).
> SDS would be bezier surfaces, to my understanding. The bezier curve is
> not able to describe a circle, f.ex, exactly; not even a piecewise
> bezier curve can do that.

I'm confused by your claim here. Please clarify. What do you mean
"not able to describe a circle exactly?"

 From the very little I know, both cubic (PostScript, SVG, etc;) and
quadratic curves (TeX, MetaFont, etc) can be used to describe a 2D
circle perfectly. Blender's integration with Verse is not finished,
and it is well known that Blender's NURBS implementation needs to be
fixed up (work was already done on this, and BF is looking for
someone to finish plugging it into blender, AFAIK, but that
discussion is not verse related in the usual sense).

Are these totally different things? I'm curious.

Thanks.

have a day.yad
jdpf