[Verse-dev] release R6p1

eskil at obsession.se eskil at obsession.se
Fri Sep 29 19:05:35 CEST 2006

Hi

For some strange reason Emil has been unable to send out emails to the
list so om sending out the message that R6 is now (with the new patch)
Official. Sorry about the confusion. I have uploaded new versions of
my apps, with source and some examples. The new builds have a new log
in interface where you can look up the master server and find others
who are running verse servers.

To start a public server that shows up in the master server list, just
start the server with the arguments:

verse_server.exe -ms:ip="uni-verse.pdc.kth.se:4950"
-ms:de="description of your server"

The address "uni-verse.pdc.kth.se:4950" is a temporary address where
we will run the master server for the comming weeks.

All my apps are up at: http://www.quelsolaar.com/files/index.html

Cheers

Here is Emils mail (and I second everything in it):

Hello.

Finally, we've decided it's time to make Verse r6p1 official, and release
it.

The changes from the last public release, back in the r5 series, are:

* The V_REAL32_MAX literal was changed. The idea is that the new literal
   should result in the same bit pattern as the old, but be more compatible
   with different compilers.
* The Noise material fragment was given two new modes.
* The Blender material fragment had the VN_M_BLEND_DOT mode removed.
* The Geometry material fragment needs to have some new functionality
   accessed through magical layer names. Eskil promised details on this.
* The Volume material fragment had its 'color' field removed.
* The Texture material fragment has a new 'filtered' field.
* Two new material fragments were added, View and Clamp.
* The o_anim_run command was made multi-dimensional.
* Object nodes can be hidden, which is controlled by a new command called
   o_hide.
* The static rotation was removed from bones, see the g_bone_create command.
* The t_set_language command was renamed t_language_set.

These are all fairly minor, and porting applications should be very quick.
Please let us know of any problems or questions. For more details, please
see the specification, as usual.

In addition to the API changes, there have been a number of bug fixes and
improvements "under the hood", to make Verse more correct and stable.

The current r6p1 code is in both CVS HEAD, where it has been merged down
from the branch where it was developed, and on the branch too of course.

Attached is a ZIP file with a minimal build for Win32, to help people start
porting their applications right away.

We hope to replace our binaries currently online at the uni-verse.org
site shortly, as they have major problems (they were rushed out to cover
SIGGRAPH).

Further, we have polished up the specification for a Verse master server,
and improved the support in the reference server. Eskil has added support
for querying a master server and getting a list of available Verse servers
in the connection-establishment interface of his applications, too. This
code (in the quelsolaar CVS module) is not available yet, but hopefully will
be on Monday. For more about the master server protocol, see its spec at
<http://verse.blender.org/cms/Master_Server__v2.775.0.html>.

Enjoy!

Regards,