[Verse-dev] Rotation, test arrows

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Fri Apr 14 22:03:36 CEST 2006

Hi.

We've been playing around a bit with looking at the house model for the demo
(by minusplus), and in connection to that started to worry a bit about how
the various tools implement the rotation part of the transform.

I've not come to any conclusions about it yet, but at least created a test
object (I saw Ludde had the same idea, in his mail about a loader problem).

Attached is "xyz-arrows.vml", which defines three arrows that coincide with
the XYZ axes. The actual geometry, if left with an identity rotation, points
in the "forward" direction, i.e. negative Z.

The geometry, which is re-used by three objects, is simply rotated a suitable
amount to point in each axis direction.

The rotations were taken from this page:
<http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Quaternion_and_Rotation_Primer>,
see the "Some useful quaternions" table a bit down. Ogre3D seems to have the
same coordinate system as Verse does (i.e. the OpenGL system). The rotations
worked directly in the simple renderer.

I'll post the program I used to generate the arrow geometry (in PyVerse)
later, might be interesting to someone. :)

Regards,