[Verse-dev] Saving and Loading

Eskil Steenberg eskil at obsession.se
Thu Sep 15 12:24:23 CEST 2005

Hi

> Thus I do not assume that the numbers are correct. The application just
> waits for a certain time if the current number of nodes is below the
> target number of nodes. Otherwise it continues to process the data
> (subscribing to certain nodes etc.), but still accepts nodes that arrive
> later. In some cases the application also keeps track of the traffic
> (callbacks called) and sets a timer which is reset whenever new data
> arrives. When there is no more traffic and the timer expires, it is
> assumed that the model is loaded. This approach can be compared to the one
> used by the VML-saver. It uses only the timer, so that the user have to
> approximate the network capasity and the amount of data on the server and
> set the timer value on command line appropriatelly. I just wanted to
> automate this process giving the user less to worry about.

All this code is about figuring out when is verse done, and the answer is
very easy: it is never done. Many people has asked why verse cant just say
when its done but Its a different way of thinging and not like geting data
form a file like people are used to. You need to re-compute any data you
have localy when ever any thing changes. Sure you can have a time out to
that can guess that the subscribe is probably done now, but all that
accomplices is to save a little cpu at start up. You must still have the
mechanism to re compute at any time when something changes.

Cheers