[Verse-dev] Saving and Loading

Samuel Siltanen saasilta at cc.hut.fi
Wed Sep 14 11:44:33 CEST 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Emil Brink wrote:

> Peter Lundén wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can report that I compiled and run (using a very complex geometry
>> consisting of one single unit cube :-) ) the loader/saver on Cygwin without
>> any problems.
>
> Cool! I'm glad to hear it works there, although I guess that's one of
> the "most expected" compatible environments. :)
>
> If you continue to use these tools, please let me know of any problems
> or suggestions for improvements.

I tried a little more complex geometry (> 12000 polygons) and the saver
did not manage to produce any vml, but crashed while reading the data from
a Verse-server. But it is not the amount of data that matters, I think,
but the type of the data. My model includes a lot of material nodes, in
addition to the object and geometry nodes. Are there some limitations to
the structures which can be saved? What if the data on the server is
incomplete (I think it might be)? What kind of vml-files are produced
then?

I traced the crash to calling verse_callback_update(). So obviously a
callback registered by "enough" somehow causes a segmentation fault.

The problem can be also in compling the "enough" library. I am not able to
compile quelsolaar without modifying the code. For example,
glutGetProcAddress is not included in GLUT 3.7. Is it possible to compile
just "enough" without having to compile any glut-related stuff, which
causes problems.

If we could get the saver work properly, it would be very helpful, because
the vml-files can be send by email and saved to disk. This would solve the
problem of creating test scenes for the audio simulation.

Samuel Siltanen
saasilta at cc.hut.fi