[Verse-dev] Cross-platform problem

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Thu Mar 24 08:45:09 CET 2005

Hi.

Camilla informed me yesterday that the current R5 code doesn't work
with the server running on e.g. PPC and a client connecting from an
x86 machine. :/

This screams "network byte ordering issues!" to me, but it could be
something more sinister as well, such as bugs in the bignum code for
encryption, that manifest themselves on PPC but not on x86. We don't
know, at the moment.

I took a brief look into it yesterday by logging in remotely to
Camilla's iBook, but gave up pretty quickly, it didn't feel very
efficient.

I've asked Brecht, who perhaps knows more about the network layer
internals than I do, and also has direct access to both PPC and
x86 hardware, to take a look...

Of course, anyone is welcome to look into this issue, it's something
we need to resolve since it's simply not the way things are supposed
to work with Verse.

Happy Easter. :)

Regards,