AW: [Verse-dev] Performance

Eskil Steenberg eskil at obsession.se
Wed Jun 8 16:07:57 CEST 2005

Hi

> if you are reworking the core code (especially the send mechanism),
> could you think of doing it thread safe?

Well, its not that big of a change so they wouldent be related.

But while we are on the subject: Yes i see the use of threading. But since
I dont like to add lost of dependencys i would probably solve it in a way
that there isa .h file with mutex defines that you can use to wrap your
own mutexes in to verse. This makes it more portable. Not sure how to do
this in detail and not sure it would be use full:

Because:

It may not give you that much. First of all verse does a lot of smart
things under the hood. calling callback update works for all connections
not just the one that is active. And then again since the active session
is a state, it would be hard to have many things run in parallel. (you
could not for instance have one tread per user).

If I where you i would atempt (in some way) to have multiple verse libs
runing at the same time. one for each user. there would be some port
issiues i think. so im not suer it is that easy. I think the easiest way
to get scalability is to make a hirarcical sturcture of servers.